Minds and Hearts have become an Approved Panel Provider for the Helping Children with Autism Package.
The Helping Children with Autism Package is an Australian government initiative aimed at better supporting families with young children on the autism spectrum to access much needed therapeutic services.
To be eligible to access the funding the child must:
• be aged 0 to 6 years and have been diagnosed with an autism spectrum condition (i.e. Autistic Disorder, Asperger Disorder, or Pervasive Development Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified; PDD-NOS) in Australia
• be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
• have a Centrelink Customer Reference Number
• have seen an Autism Advisor and been deemed eligible to access the package prior to their 6th birthday
The funding of up to $12 000 (maximum of $6 000 per financial year) can be accessed until the child’s 7th birthday and can be used on services provided by psychologists, occupational therapists or speech therapists. Only organisations and individuals that have been approved by the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) can offer these services.
At Minds and Hearts eligible families may be able to use their funding towards:
• Individual therapy sessions with a psychologist
• Group therapy programs designed for 4 to 6 year old children
• The purchasing of approved equipment & resources (up to 35% in total) recommended by your psychologist
Please note: you cannot use your FaHCSIA funding to pay for diagnostic assessment appointments since your child will need to have received a formal diagnosis from a paediatrician or child psychiatrist prior to being made eligible to receive the funding.